Sunday, April 15, 2012

The old and the new

It pays to take your camera everywhere with you. Mine gets squeezed into my laptop bag every working day, whether I'm heading to an office for the day, or out of London for a meeting somewhere. If I was only better at this photography lark, the camera could actually replace my laptop. Now there's a nice thought...

This was taken on a whim from a moving train, just outside Victoria Station, on one such day. That's the iconic Battersea Power Station in the foreground, and a newer addition to the London skyline, the Shard, in the distant background. I processed it as a HDR image to bring the detail out of that cloudy sky. Now all I need to finish it off is a big, pink, flying pig (if you're not a Pink Floyd fan, don't worry too much if that seems a little surreal).


16 comments:

  1. This is such a great image Alan. Yes, it does pay to carry the camera everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...YES! Add the big, pink, flying porker;)
    Love this capture...and I second the idea of replacing laptop.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the first Pink Floyd album I bought when I was a teen (it means, a long time ago...)!
    I spent 6 months going to Victoria Station almost every day (and I never noticed it, unbelievable...).
    Very cool work Alan! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People think I am nuts because I always have my camera with me. Even at meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Lucia I don't remember seeing this! Even when I go out for exercise I take a P & S camera - I think I am addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the light in this photo. It gives the "Bricks In the Wall" quite a golden glow. There is also great distance in the sky. Never be without your camera Alan. You take wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I always think of a cow lying on its back with its legs in the air and trousers/skin bunched down around its thighs.

    Is it the new fancy Canon that you manage to fit into your laptop back? That's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great capture Alan ... I'm sure if I lived and worked in London I would find a way to fit my camera in my laptop bag ... why not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Wow Wow! Really like the HDR on this one Alan. And on a moving train and all! Congratulations. Perhaps your camera will replace your laptop sooner than you think! By the way, I agree that the pink pig would be a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laughed when I read Cara's impression of how she sees the Battersea Power station, I can totally see it, though probably wouldn't have if not prompted!! Fabulous shot of this famous landmark Alan, make sure you have your camera on ALWAYS!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Admire this shot - and its processing - tremendously, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Grace, thanks Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. By coincidence, I've just posted a shot taken from a moving train. You did well to get such a good composition.

    ReplyDelete

I still have lots to learn about photography. All comments or constructive criticism are very welcome!

Photoblogs