Sunday, July 1, 2012

Remembering Melbourne

So here we are, it's July 1 and, quite frankly, "summer" in London has been downright depressing so far. A year ago today, I landed at Heathrow Airport after my 12-month sejour in Australia to resume normal life in the UK. Whilst in Melbourne, I was often reminded that the weather was unusually poor by normal standards. I wondered whether my memory was playing tricks on me when I responded that it was still a million times better than UK weather. Turns out there was nothing wrong with my memory. Nothing at all....

So, when the sun made a brief appearance the other day and the temperature stayed at 20C into the evening, I hightailed it over to Finsbury Park to top up my Vitamin D levels with some friends. For a couple of short hours, it almost felt like I was back in Melbourne...

Fast forward 3 days and the forecast is for rain and a maximum 18C today. Worse to come tomorrow, apparently. No, I'm definitely not in Melbourne any more. This is London. I wonder when I will have saved enough money to take another year out...

On a brighter note, this photo made Explore on Flickr, which makes me ridiculously happy for no good reason.

And, for the record, despite everything I've said above, London has completely won me over, rain and all.


14 comments:

  1. Congratulations Alan. I can understand why this photo made "Explore on Flickr". It has wonderful depth and warmth. Perhaps it's the way the sun shines over the girls head or maybe it's the clarity of the people. It really does come together well. PS if it is any consolation our top temperature in Melbourne today was 9 degrees Celsius. Coldest day in four years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's been a year already!

    When I feel tempted to complain about the weather (and as Joe mentioned, there's plenty to complain about in Melbourne right now) I think of a quote that goes something like, "Every man makes his own summer', which of course is meant to be metaphorical, but I like the more literal interpretation as well (substituting 'winter' as appropriate).

    Oh, great shot too! I feel a bit warmer just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful warm light in this capture Alan .... Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a little sunshine to set things right. Love the photo. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a pleasure reading your lines, you are a good photographer and a good writer as well.
    Don't worry you still have some months of summer ahead; I can't complain, it's been a sunny winter week (very unusual), the temperatures in Sao Paulo are about the same. And to tell you the truth I've missed even the grey rainy days in London...
    Congratulations, you must be very proud and happy your photo was chosen on Flickr!
    This photo makes me think "This is exactly were I would like to be right now".
    Yes, it deserves a pink star. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Lucia - it looks like a place I would like to be right now. It is 29˚C and sunny here today but your pic looks so inviting! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. A year already?!?!

    First of all...love the photo. Deserves its place!

    And...have you ever considered writing as a job? You're quite talented in that area!

    Well wherever you end up~Im sure you will make it look a wonderful place with photos and words. Especially if it is oceanside:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the quintessential English summer shot Alan, just gorgeous. I know it sounds a bit odd but I can almost smell that summer smell!! I have heard that it hasn't been the best summer, it seems so unfair as I'm sitting here in Perth and it is literally the middle of our winter and it's 21C out there today. Next time you have a years break come and try Perth yeh!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great image that captures how great London can be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a relaxed summery shot Alan. Congrats on making Explore on Flickr and no wonder. A great image. As Joe says, don't be concerned about the UK weather, it's really cold even in Perth! I must say though that I am hoping it will warm up in a few weeks when we come over your way, so fingers crossed. Hope that we can somehow work out a way of catching up. That would be just marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your lovely comments folks!

    ReplyDelete

I still have lots to learn about photography. All comments or constructive criticism are very welcome!

Photoblogs