Tuesday, July 31, 2012

There is nothing which has been yet contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn

So said Samuel Johnson, way back in the 18th century. 250 years later and, in London at least, the argument still stands up under scrutiny. London pubs are great (and that from an Irishman). Every friendship I've forged in the past year started in a pub, as it happens. And I'm not even that big a drinker.

Personally, I don't go to pubs unless I've arranged to meet somebody. But you often see lone patrons, book or newspaper in one hand, tipple of choice in the other, oblivious to their surroundings (so much so they don't even notice their neighbours sticking a lens in their face).

And with over 7,000 pubs in London, I reckon that leaves me with over 6900 I have yet to visit. Best get on with it then.


11 comments:

  1. This is what I do in my own self time.

    It is a moment to reflect life and reads a good book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan. Glad to hear you have an action plan. 6'900 pubs at one a week will take 132 years. Best make it three a week! Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tones & light Alan! Like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be happy to accompany you! Excellent photo. Are you going to the Olympics at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing the 6900 amazing shots you are going to take during your visits.
    This one is totally lovely Alan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful words and a great picture.
    Just discovered your blog today and have jumped aboard to follow. Very interesting subjects, wish I could take such fantastic pictures.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely work Alan ! tones, composition and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even by Joe's calculations it's going to take an awfully long time Alan, enjoy!! Love this B&W study I must say she looks very comfortable with her own company!

    ReplyDelete

I still have lots to learn about photography. All comments or constructive criticism are very welcome!

Photoblogs